Friday, March 30, 2012

Moving an MSDE app to SQL Express

I have an MSDE application that I am trying to Move to SQLExpress without to
o
many changes. The application uses SQL Scripts to create logins, called
sp_addlogin. One of the logins that is created is a user with view only
rights to non_sensitive security parts of the schema. This user is created
with a null password.
With SQL Express sp_addlogin fails because the password does not meet the
complexity requirements. To assign a password to this login, the app would
need to be altered in ways that I would rather avoid at the moment. While I
understand that it is the long term correct way to go, is there a way that I
can get the scripts to both work on MSDE and SQLExpress with a null password
.
Or is my best bet to determine the version of the server and use CREATE LOGI
N
with CHECK_POLICY set to off
Thank You
LeslieIf you are willing to do the check and use CREATE LOGIN that would work, but
you are asking for trouble if you use a blank password.
--
Rob Walters
Program Manager - SQL Server
"Leslie" wrote:

> I have an MSDE application that I am trying to Move to SQLExpress without
too
> many changes. The application uses SQL Scripts to create logins, called
> sp_addlogin. One of the logins that is created is a user with view only
> rights to non_sensitive security parts of the schema. This user is created
> with a null password.
> With SQL Express sp_addlogin fails because the password does not meet the
> complexity requirements. To assign a password to this login, the app would
> need to be altered in ways that I would rather avoid at the moment. While
I
> understand that it is the long term correct way to go, is there a way that
I
> can get the scripts to both work on MSDE and SQLExpress with a null passwo
rd.
> Or is my best bet to determine the version of the server and use CREATE LO
GIN
> with CHECK_POLICY set to off
> Thank You
> Leslie|||Thank You.
I know it is asking for trouble. Unfortunatly the app was not written by me
and I don't have the ok from above to make the needed changes
Thanks again
-Leslie
"Rob Walters [MSFT]" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> If you are willing to do the check and use CREATE LOGIN that would work, b
ut
> you are asking for trouble if you use a blank password.
> --
> Rob Walters
> Program Manager - SQL Server
>
> "Leslie" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment