Friday, March 30, 2012

Moving BD to new schema...

Good morning to everyone!

I have a 3Gig SQL database that currently has all Indexes, Logs, and Data on one drive. We have a new server that will be put in place on Wednesday and thankfully we will be putting the Indexes and TransLogs on different drives from the actual Data. Does anyone have a recommendation on his/her preferred way of doing this and what are some of the advantages/disadvantages some of you may have encountered? This isn't homework. I am finally getting the hang of manipulating and working with our database and will need to accomplish the server switch in about two weeks. Or if you have a recommended reading on this - please point me to it and I'll get to practicing!

Thanks to everyone!
Tiffanieput indices on different drives than the data. you can create seperate filegroups and put indices for one set of tables on one drive and data on the other and do the vice versa for another set of tales. put T-Logs on a completely seperate drive from the data and indices. I do not want to start the RAID debate.|||Thanks Sean,

We are putting everything on their own drives, but I was wondering how everyone goes about pointing the tables to the new locations of the I&Ts? No raid discussion from me - server is already built I just get to play with moving everything and making sure it works. Basically we're planning to fully backup on the old server and restore on the new. Somehow I need to adjust the paths though?

Tiffanie|||Monday... erased.|||tables that are frequently joined, you might to keep oon seperate filegroups.

I do not think you can use ALTER TABLE to change filegroups.

I am not sure you are going tobe able to do a backup and restore. You may have to script your whole database in the EM (easy to do). and adjust your create table statements with ON PRIMARY or SECONDARY etc... specified. Then you will have to move the data over without using a backup.

The indices are easy. Just drop and recreate. You can use the EM or write some code that writes some code against sysindexes to do the job.|||Thanks Sean - I'll play around with that.
Have a terrific day!
Tiffanie

No comments:

Post a Comment