Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Moving a Full-Text Catalog from a single server to a Cluster

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with a
problem I'm having moving a full-text catalog from one server to
another.
In a nutshell, I want to take a database with full-text indexing
enabled and move it and the catalog to a new server. The existing
system is a single server build but the new one will be clustered in
an active/passive configuration which complicates things a little.
Obviously I've read and tried the instructions in Q240867 but this
doesnt seem to have worked and a full population starts as soon as I
enable the funtionality again (so either I'm doing something wrong or
it's not possible to do it).
I've tried to follow the instructions on each of the nodes in the
cluster and on the virtual server but it doesnt seem to work.
Any help anyone can give me in this would be really appreciated.
Regards,
Mike
Are the database IDs identical on the server you are moving the catalogs to?
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
"Mike" <mike.metcalf@.4projects.com> wrote in message
news:678e073d.0410180336.37c55f97@.posting.google.c om...
> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with a
> problem I'm having moving a full-text catalog from one server to
> another.
> In a nutshell, I want to take a database with full-text indexing
> enabled and move it and the catalog to a new server. The existing
> system is a single server build but the new one will be clustered in
> an active/passive configuration which complicates things a little.
> Obviously I've read and tried the instructions in Q240867 but this
> doesnt seem to have worked and a full population starts as soon as I
> enable the funtionality again (so either I'm doing something wrong or
> it's not possible to do it).
> I've tried to follow the instructions on each of the nodes in the
> cluster and on the virtual server but it doesnt seem to work.
> Any help anyone can give me in this would be really appreciated.
> Regards,
> Mike
|||Hi Hillary,
I've had a look and the DBID's are the same (I thought they were but
it's always worth double-checking), the only thing that should be
diffent is that the new build will be clustered (the old one isnt) and
the FTDATA directory is being moved from the c: to the shared d: (I've
updated the registry keys to reflect the new location)
What I'm really looking for is someone to tell me where I need to apply
the registry settings I took on the original system to (node 1, node 2,
virtual server, virtual SQL Server or some mix of everything), or
failing that if someone could say if and why it wasn't possible (I'm
fairly sure it is) that would be ok too.
There's probably something different (or extra) that needs doing on a
clustered installation that hasnt been documented yet.
Mike
*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
|||Mike,
I researched and wrote the original KB article Q240867 (before it was
modified for SP3) and because you're moving from a non-clustered environment
to a clustered environment, this modified KB article's cluster related
procedures assumes that you are already in a clustered environment before
moving or copying the FT Catalog folder & files.
I'd recommend that you review KB article 812666 - "How to recover a failed
full-text search resource on a clustered instance of SQL Server 2000" at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=812666 if re-installation of
FTS is required. If not, I'd recommend that you consider setting up your
clustered environment first and then copy over the SQL000<dbid>000<ftcatid>
folder assuming the same dibd & ftcatid is on your clustered environment. If
this is not possible, then you most likely will have to run a Full
Population and take the hit on a long population period as I'm assuming that
is why you are copying to the new build from the old non-clustered build.
Regards,
John
"Mike Metcalf" <mike.metcalf@.4projects.com> wrote in message
news:uSzxk0StEHA.1400@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi Hillary,
> I've had a look and the DBID's are the same (I thought they were but
> it's always worth double-checking), the only thing that should be
> diffent is that the new build will be clustered (the old one isnt) and
> the FTDATA directory is being moved from the c: to the shared d: (I've
> updated the registry keys to reflect the new location)
> What I'm really looking for is someone to tell me where I need to apply
> the registry settings I took on the original system to (node 1, node 2,
> virtual server, virtual SQL Server or some mix of everything), or
> failing that if someone could say if and why it wasn't possible (I'm
> fairly sure it is) that would be ok too.
> There's probably something different (or extra) that needs doing on a
> clustered installation that hasnt been documented yet.
> Mike
> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
|||Hi John,
Thanks for your suggestions, I had a look at the article over the
weekend and a combination of the two led me to the correct solution,
I've tested it 3 times and it's worked each time so I know it's not a
fluke.
Thanks again,
Mike
*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
|||You're welcome, Mike,
I guess a little bit of persistence goes a long way!
John
"Mike Metcalf" <mike.metcalf@.4projects.com> wrote in message
news:#49OMjmuEHA.2832@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi John,
> Thanks for your suggestions, I had a look at the article over the
> weekend and a combination of the two led me to the correct solution,
> I've tested it 3 times and it's worked each time so I know it's not a
> fluke.
> Thanks again,
> Mike
> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment