Monday, February 20, 2012

MS Reports with out SQL Server

I have a customer using Oracle DB and Oracle Reports (older version), they
need the feature to export reports to excel and like the MS Reporting
Services format. Most of the reports have already been developed in VS2k3
for another customer that uses strictly MS SQL and I have converted these to
VS2k5 and been looking at the ReportViewer winform and webform controls. I
would like to use it in local mode because this customer doesnâ't want a
SQLServer installed anywhere. Ideally I would just like to pass an Oracle DB
connection string to the report viewer and let the SQL in the rdl file do its
work. But, as I understand it, I have to pass the DataTable directly to the
report when using local mode? So is there anyway to open an rdl file and
obtain the SQL? I can then query the DB and pass the resulting data back to
the ReportViewer.LocalReport.DataSource. Any example code would help, I
canâ't imagine all this is required just to run a simple report without a
SSRS? My customer now wants me to consider using crystal reports instead but
I would like to stay on the MS format. Will there be any better options for
this situation in future versions of ReportingServices or the ReportViewer?There are so many examples on the web.
What seems to be a problem?
You can pass any data- no sql server required.
Can't you do something like that?
DataTable reportData = _controller.GetReportData();
rview.LocalReport.DataSources.Clear();
rview.Clear();
rview.Reset();
byte[] data = GetRDL();
MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream(data);
rview.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Local;
rview.LocalReport.LoadReportDefinition(ms);
ReportDataSource rds = new ReportDataSource("ds", reportData);
rview.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(rds);
rview.RefreshReport();
"Drew" <Drew@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AE726184-FFE0-4297-974D-C795D02F0E38@.microsoft.com...
>I have a customer using Oracle DB and Oracle Reports (older version), they
> need the feature to export reports to excel and like the MS Reporting
> Services format. Most of the reports have already been developed in VS2k3
> for another customer that uses strictly MS SQL and I have converted these
> to
> VS2k5 and been looking at the ReportViewer winform and webform controls. I
> would like to use it in local mode because this customer doesn't want a
> SQLServer installed anywhere. Ideally I would just like to pass an Oracle
> DB
> connection string to the report viewer and let the SQL in the rdl file do
> its
> work. But, as I understand it, I have to pass the DataTable directly to
> the
> report when using local mode? So is there anyway to open an rdl file and
> obtain the SQL? I can then query the DB and pass the resulting data back
> to
> the ReportViewer.LocalReport.DataSource. Any example code would help, I
> can't imagine all this is required just to run a simple report without a
> SSRS? My customer now wants me to consider using crystal reports instead
> but
> I would like to stay on the MS format. Will there be any better options
> for
> this situation in future versions of ReportingServices or the
> ReportViewer?|||hey buddy i am so sorry that Oracle doesn't have as many features as
SQL Server does.
you should tell them to re-evaluate their database of choice.
-Aaron
Oleg Yevteyev myfistname wrote:
> There are so many examples on the web.
> What seems to be a problem?
> You can pass any data- no sql server required.
> Can't you do something like that?
> DataTable reportData = _controller.GetReportData();
> rview.LocalReport.DataSources.Clear();
> rview.Clear();
> rview.Reset();
> byte[] data = GetRDL();
> MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream(data);
> rview.ProcessingMode = ProcessingMode.Local;
> rview.LocalReport.LoadReportDefinition(ms);
> ReportDataSource rds = new ReportDataSource("ds", reportData);
> rview.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(rds);
> rview.RefreshReport();
>
> "Drew" <Drew@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:AE726184-FFE0-4297-974D-C795D02F0E38@.microsoft.com...
> >I have a customer using Oracle DB and Oracle Reports (older version), they
> > need the feature to export reports to excel and like the MS Reporting
> > Services format. Most of the reports have already been developed in VS2k3
> > for another customer that uses strictly MS SQL and I have converted these
> > to
> > VS2k5 and been looking at the ReportViewer winform and webform controls. I
> > would like to use it in local mode because this customer doesn't want a
> > SQLServer installed anywhere. Ideally I would just like to pass an Oracle
> > DB
> > connection string to the report viewer and let the SQL in the rdl file do
> > its
> > work. But, as I understand it, I have to pass the DataTable directly to
> > the
> > report when using local mode? So is there anyway to open an rdl file and
> > obtain the SQL? I can then query the DB and pass the resulting data back
> > to
> > the ReportViewer.LocalReport.DataSource. Any example code would help, I
> > can't imagine all this is required just to run a simple report without a
> > SSRS? My customer now wants me to consider using crystal reports instead
> > but
> > I would like to stay on the MS format. Will there be any better options
> > for
> > this situation in future versions of ReportingServices or the
> > ReportViewer?

No comments:

Post a Comment