Monday, February 20, 2012

moving indexes onto another partition

Hi
From several weeks I suffer poor performance of my SQL Serv (as backend to
the web application).
I heard that sometimes splitting database to different hard disk could raise
performance. But in my case I have got only one HDD devided to 2 partition -
my question is: if it is good idea to migrate tables or indexes to anther
partition - does it make sens?
Or maybe thare is another solution to my problem - connected mostly with HDD
queue legth. So I could say that all the delay in answers are connected with
poor HDD performance.
Best Regards
Darek T.It does not help to move the indexes to the other partition: it is still the
same physical disk drive.
Ben Nevarez, MCDBA, OCP
Database Administrator
"Dariusz Tomon" wrote:
> Hi
> From several weeks I suffer poor performance of my SQL Serv (as backend to
> the web application).
> I heard that sometimes splitting database to different hard disk could raise
> performance. But in my case I have got only one HDD devided to 2 partition -
> my question is: if it is good idea to migrate tables or indexes to anther
> partition - does it make sens?
> Or maybe thare is another solution to my problem - connected mostly with HDD
> queue legth. So I could say that all the delay in answers are connected with
> poor HDD performance.
>
> Best Regards
> Darek T.
>
>|||Use SQL profiler to run a trace and identify the query that is slow. The
vast majority of performance problems can be fixed by rewriting queries or
adding indexes.
Beyond that, you can only add physical drives to distribute the read/writes.
"Dariusz Tomon" <d.tomon@.mazars.pl> wrote in message
news:O$Q3lgRdGHA.1656@.TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> From several weeks I suffer poor performance of my SQL Serv (as backend to
> the web application).
> I heard that sometimes splitting database to different hard disk could
> raise performance. But in my case I have got only one HDD devided to 2
> partition - my question is: if it is good idea to migrate tables or
> indexes to anther partition - does it make sens?
> Or maybe thare is another solution to my problem - connected mostly with
> HDD queue legth. So I could say that all the delay in answers are
> connected with poor HDD performance.
>
> Best Regards
> Darek T.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment