Saturday, February 25, 2012

Move db

Hi
I have WIn2003 SP1+SQL2000 SP3.
Al the DB sites on drive D, I installed new HD Edrive.
I need to move all the DB to the new drive.
What is the best to do that?
Than'x
Shayhttp://www.webservertalk.com/archive132-2004-7-330935.html
--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
"S" <s@.s.com> wrote in message news:uF11vLf2HHA.5740@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> I have WIn2003 SP1+SQL2000 SP3.
> Al the DB sites on drive D, I installed new HD Edrive.
> I need to move all the DB to the new drive.
> What is the best to do that?
> Than'x
> Shay
>|||Search the Books On Line (BOL) for Detach and Attach:
Quoting BOL:
To move a database, or database file, to another server or disk:
1) Detach the database.
2) Move the database file(s) to the other server or disk.
3) Attach the database specifying the new location of the moved
file(s).
My only additional comment is that I would have really good backups
first, and I would COPY rather than MOVE, only getting rid of the
oroginal files after the database is working from the new location.
Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT
On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:32:15 +0200, "S" <s@.s.com> wrote:
>Hi
>I have WIn2003 SP1+SQL2000 SP3.
>Al the DB sites on drive D, I installed new HD Edrive.
>I need to move all the DB to the new drive.
>What is the best to do that?
>Than'x
>Shay
>|||On Aug 8, 2:44 pm, Roy Harvey <roy_har...@.snet.net> wrote:
> Search the Books On Line (BOL) for Detach and Attach:
> Quoting BOL:
> To move a database, or database file, to another server or disk:
> 1) Detach the database.
> 2) Move the database file(s) to the other server or disk.
> 3) Attach the database specifying the new location of the moved
> file(s).
> My only additional comment is that I would have really good backups
> first, and I would COPY rather than MOVE, only getting rid of the
> oroginal files after the database is working from the new location.
> Roy Harvey
> Beacon Falls, CT
>
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 22:32:15 +0200, "S" <s...@.s.com> wrote:
> >Hi
> >I have WIn2003 SP1+SQL2000 SP3.
> >Al the DB sites on drive D, I installed new HD Edrive.
> >I need to move all the DB to the new drive.
> >What is the best to do that?
> >Than'x
> >Shay- Hide quoted text -
> - Show quoted text -
I agree with the detach and attach method in this case. You should
simply detach the database(s) you wish to move, move the files to
their new location, the simply run the attach method. It will ask you
to browse for your .mdf and .ldf files and voila, you will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment